Question Solstice Z0k package

Formerly "Stock"

Question Solstice Z0k package

Postby Red_Enilder » Mon May 04, 2015 6:10 pm

I have been researching mods for the solstice gxp, and from what I have read the best option is to install the Z0k package (dealer option). This allows me to stay in AS, but with significantly improved handling.
As I understand the rules, I need to install all parts of the package. This includes two swaybars upgraded rear brace and new springs.
If I cannot get the springs installed for the May 10th event and only install the sway bars and brace (this means I am not lowered yet), can I get a special pass to compete in AS or will I have to go up a class until I get the springs installed?
Red_Enilder

Re: Question Solstice Z0k package

Postby SirSidewaystheThird » Mon May 04, 2015 7:58 pm

I personally would not mind all that much. Though it's not really my call to make, it's just my 2¢.
Fuel goes in, seals come out. Welcome to the wonderful world of the rotary engine.

Cyrus P.
Scouts-class Rx-8 - Always be Prepared
SirSidewaystheThird

Postby Red_Enilder » Mon May 04, 2015 10:09 pm

Thanks. It's not a big deal either way. I am not really competitive yet. I just want to make sure I register the car correctly. I like to procrastinate. Maybe I will just Wai to install all the parts till after May 10th. If any of the committee members can let me know, then I will register accordingly.
Red_Enilder

Postby Ladlesport » Tue May 05, 2015 5:28 am

hey,

you don't need to have all the allowable mods for a class to complete to compete in that class but anything you have done has to conform to the rules of that class. you could run the car in SP if you really wanted to without any mods to the car...
if you are not a member of the ASA for 2015 and therefore are not competing for points this year then register where you like.
keep in mind that to do this right and to the rules you would have to install all of the parts and that includes JL9-Brakes, 4-wheel ABS, G80-Differential, limited slip read end and FE3-Suspension, 4-wheel independent, Sport-tuned to be able to compete in stock.
after a quick google, from the manufacturer the Z0k package was not available on cars with A/C, but it was a as mentioned also a dealer installed option. so i'm not sure how that will affect this process.

i think it goes without saying that all of these parts that you are installing have to be factory GM parts, not an aftermarket Z0k equivalent package that fits the Solstice.
'99 Miata - STR
Former ASA Solo Committee Director ('13-'16)
Ladlesport

Postby ctt_1982 » Tue May 05, 2015 6:02 am

From the rule book:
Option package conversions may be performed between specific vehicles of a particular make and model, but only between configurations from within a particular model year. Such conversions must be totally complete and the resultant car must meet all requirements of this Section. These requirements are not met by simply pulling a fuse to disable a feature which distinguishes one model from another.

The option has to be available in your year and you have to make it an exact replica down to every minute detail. I'm not too sure what that all entails with your car but seems way more trouble than it's worth. I'd just run in STR, add the good suspension bits and call it a day.
ctt_1982

Postby Red_Enilder » Tue May 05, 2015 8:38 pm

Thanks for the great advice. I was initially thinking of going to ST-something, but having looked at the classification in the solo document I do not find my car anywhere until I go to BSP (it was this or ASP I cant remember). I am not sure if there is any other ST classification that my car would fall under.
Back to trying to maximize my AS car. I have a GXP model, and the ZOK parts for this car is much simpler than the base solstice conversion, which you mentioned.
It only requires the listed parts plus the associated brackets and bushings. The only difference when I am finished between my car and a ZOK gxp will be that I have leather seat covers and ac. Both are items which can be added to a ZOK car under the C&C clause as per rule book, I believe.
As to my initial question installing a partial package pre May 10th event, it became moot since part of the parcels have been delayed and wont be here on time. I will be there on Friday with my non optioned GXP, better tires, and some book theory to be put into practice hopefully. It will actually be nice to compare the before and after difference with ZOK package and without.

Thanks again for all the input.

I will post a few links for reference that I found regarding the tsb from gm regarding gxp zok when I get home to my computer.
Red_Enilder

Postby Red_Enilder » Tue May 05, 2015 9:28 pm

All the parts are original GM parts purchase from gm.

Here is a couple of websites that can be used to reference the gxp zok package. I will take photos with part number labels before install, and ai can hunt down an official TSB from GM regarding the Zok requirements if that is necessary. I will get all the ready before I install and compete with the ZOK package on the car.

Here are the links:

http://www.sccabb.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5578

http://www.sccaforums.com/forums/aft/30366

I wonder if someone can give me a hand with what else might be required if the proof of the parts is required. This year it might not be an issue, because I am not nearly competitive yet. The car might be ready, but I am not (skills are not there yet). I am a member of ASA this year so hope to see where my standings end up by the end of the year, hence the effort to make sure I cross my t's and dot my i's.

Thanks again for all the suggestions and help.

My life would have been n bit easier if my car was a miata or an s2000 (more familiar), but that is the price for trying something different. :-)
Red_Enilder

Postby leftme » Wed May 06, 2015 7:00 am

Have you tried to get any of the parts from GM? Might be very hard to find and you'd need every part in the package to make it legal.

Clayton
1993 Mazda Miata LE #1154 --- SSM - What have I done?
2007 Honda S2000 --- Returned to daily driving duties.
leftme

Postby Red_Enilder » Wed May 06, 2015 3:02 pm

Got all the parts in my living room as of today. And all of them was ordered through gmpartdepot and verified as gm oem parts. That was part of my winter project. I even have the new bracket and bushings. I had to go through the gm warehouse, because it says discontinued parts if you look it up at your local dealer. It took a lot of phone calls and research to get all the pieces, so I definitely want to use this as intended, at least until my driving skills are improved enough to justify further modifications. At that point I might just make the car a dedicated play car and step up to BSP.

Should I arrange a meeting with someone who can vouch for the parts authenticity before I install them, or is a photo with the parts label attached to the part and a copy of the TSB that refers to the ZOK package and its required parts enough to ensure any concerns regarding the modifications are satisfied?
Red_Enilder

Postby leftme » Thu May 07, 2015 8:09 am

Red_Enilder wrote:Should I arrange a meeting with someone who can vouch for the parts authenticity before I install them, or is a photo with the parts label attached to the part and a copy of the TSB that refers to the ZOK package and its required parts enough to ensure any concerns regarding the modifications are satisfied?

We tend to rely on competitor honesty, if someone is going to cheat to be at the top of the RAW or PAX standings, well good for them, they accomplished so much. :shock:

I think keeping the receipts should be proof enough if it's ever needed.

Clayton
1993 Mazda Miata LE #1154 --- SSM - What have I done?
2007 Honda S2000 --- Returned to daily driving duties.
leftme

Postby majormojo » Thu May 07, 2015 9:24 am

The car would likely be inspected only in the case of an actual protest from a competitor. That is unlikely to happen locally, because as Clayton mentioned, we mostly rely on competitor honesty. However, to be properly prepared to defend a protest you should have a binder with documentation showing the availability of the option (some dealer documentation, TSB, order sheets, etc), and a list of what parts changes it consisted of, as well as your receipts for them. A PDF file on your phone with all that info would probably be sufficient. The reality is you're only going to get protested if you're winning and beating someone who thinks you've cheated to do so. Just "do the right thing" and class your car properly and you'll be fine.
Jim W, #24
WCMA Solosport Director
majormojo

Postby Red_Enilder » Thu May 07, 2015 1:31 pm

Thank you very much. I really appreciate all the help in getting answers to my questions.
I am sure that I will not be near the top for a while. I just wanted to make sure that I keep what I need to incase I decide to do this more seriously and go to a different associations event. I will start to make a binder before I lose all my receipts.
See you guys on Sunday. I think I have the autocross bug for sure.
Red_Enilder

Return to Street