Stripped trunk liners violating SP rules?

Street Prepared Class Discussion

Stripped trunk liners violating SP rules?

Postby rox » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:27 am

I have been wondering about this for some time now.
When I bought my car it came with some of the trunk liners missing (like the trunk lid liner, the rear seat lid (at least that's what I think)).
And I took out my side liners for visual inspection etc. and didn't put them back in yet (still have those though).

I'm a bit confused I guess... is the trunk stuff a part of the the "interior/comfort" stuff? And are they called liners or panels or what are they?!

I found a section saying I may modify the panels to fit a strut bar (for example).

In either case I must be missing something here to conclude this appropriately.
Furthermore this stuff weighs next to nothing (like less than the spare tire and jack we're allowed to remove from the trunk)...

Is that still ok or is it grounds for protest (I'm planning for the 2017 nationals)?
If it's a problem I'll have to find these pieces...

Being one of the very few JDM cars around (there was two of us this year?) I don't want to push any tiny reason for being bumped or disqualified, let alone ruin the SP JDM classing for anyone else.
Marcin D. : 1996 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV GSR (RSified and Racecar-ish)
rox

Re: Stripped trunk liners violating SP rules?

Postby ultimatt » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:41 pm

Pictures.
Profile pic by GrantC
ultimatt

Postby rox » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:21 pm

Pictures of my trunk, the original trunk, or both?
rox

Postby Tracker » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:51 pm

Yes
Tracker
Tracker

Postby rox » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:38 pm

Thanks Fernando that's very helpful.

I will upload pictures next week since I have to put them somewhere first.
Better yet I will have the car at the event on Sunday.
rox

Postby rox » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:45 am

Notice strut towers, the liner would normally go around those and towards the rear of the car and it is a two piece (i.e. one piece for each side).
Then in the complete back (not shown on picture) there is a 3rd piece to cover the lights etc. I have all of those and I put them back in now (still not sure if I have to or not).

This is the trunk lid, this piece I'm missing (it never came with the car), and truthfully I think that's the only piece I am missing. Frankly I can't even find a reference picture with one that has it but I'm pretty positive it was confirmed by someone that it's supposed to have that liner there.

Anyway, is that something I'm not allowed to remove in ASP?
For reference here is what it would look like with the liners in place:
rox

Postby rox » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:47 am

So these liners, are those considered "panels", or "comfort" items, or even a part of the interior "trim"?
rox

Postby GrantC » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:49 am

I'd say you're reaching to call them a "comfort & convenience" mod (usually something related to the drivers actually comfort like removing the drivers side grab handle for helmet clearance, or sun visors so a tall driver can see), or to say that removing them entirely is "modifying them the minimum allowed to fit a strut tower bar" (that usually means cutting a slot/hole).

"If it doesn't say you can, you can't".

Run the car as stock as possible, with only the mods you've intentionally done changing it from stock configuration. You're also going to have an uphill battle with extra scrutiny because you're running "one of those JDM cars", so don't give them anything extra to use as leverage.
Don't make me quote you in my sig! ;)
GrantC

Postby Tracker » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:00 am

Were they attached with velcro or a more "permanent" fastener (like plastic clips)?

If it is velcro you can probably remove them...
Tracker
Tracker

Postby rox » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:18 am

They were attached with plastic clips (out of which many were missing but it stays in place). Not velcro anywhere.
The only pieces I have are 6 plastic screw-on caps for the rear most liner.

I don't really have much more of a reason to remove this other than being able to better bungee "crap" in my trunk when I transport it to the events (cause it exposes some neat clipping points).
Additionally I can right away catch something going wrong back there (like the cracking strut tower I needed to have welded, or too much AYC fluid spewing out of the reservoir).
So all in all these things I can deal with and they're quick to take out for visual inspection before/after events.

Thanks for all the input and I will leave them in, plus try to acquire any additional pieces I am missing.
rox

Postby ultimatt » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:54 pm

I'd be surprised if there was a panel on the underside of the trunk lid, I don't remember such a thing on my wrx.
Profile pic by GrantC
ultimatt

Postby majormojo » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:20 pm

Not an official call, just my opinion. I think the carpet can come out, but those liners should stay. Also if there was a liner clipped to the trunk lid, it should be there.

The STi that got protested at CAC did have a liner on the trunk lid. What it was missing was some kind of metal brace or backing behind the foam of the seats. The solution was just to move it to another class where that change was legal (ironically, putting the protested driver into the trophies in his new class...). So yes, expect extra scrutiny at a high profile event, but nobody is looking to DSQ cars or send people home.
Jim W, #24
WCMA Solosport Director
majormojo

Postby rox » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:43 pm

I'm in the mids of figuring out if this is supposed to have the lid liner and all the references we found this far don't mention anything about it, as well as confirmed by a bunch of IV owners they never had one either.

I will make sure to get the extra clips I'm missing too just to make it as stock as possible.
And yes I am thinking about that STi incident, altough I also know why he was being targeted.
In either case I will not be providing any reason for a protest for sure.
rox

Return to Street Prepared