My Evo IV GSR to RS to some kind of race car

Your builds

Re: My Evo IV GSR to RS to some kind of race car

Postby rox » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:12 am

So it's like there is not enough time during "normal people" hours especially the older your kid gets, plus when you have a million projects on a go all at once...
Solution: lose sleep to get things done. Yep...

Diff is back up. Notice the bushings here - where the bushing material is would normally be gaps on the OE bushing. Not only this will prevent the diff from bouncing now, that also prevents the bushing from tearing like the OE does because of the possible travel of the support bar.

Accessory belt is finally on.

Picked up some new fluids for this season from Invision. Trying out Motul 8100 5W40 this year, and Custo race spec PS fluid (probably on both cars).

Other than that 2019 season started, snagged a set of +30mm front fenders from Aaron. He found a set on Yahoo Japan. These will need work and cutting but you can run a 265 tire with something like that! This might be going up on the car in 2019, or later. Depends. But I have them now so whenever I'm ready to go with wider tires I have the front fenders covered :)

And I also have a cat... is what my 8 year old child would say. But I do, first cat in over 20 years. Of course mandatory, car guy who has cat, cat inspects parts picture.

I'm in process of installing front components: steering rack, subframe, tcase with LSD. Then just exhaust, bumper, and other minor things and the car should be good to go. Couple more long nights, and a couple day shifts and I might roll this thing outta my garage by the time the new snow melts!
Marcin D. : 1996 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV
http://club456.ca - Amateur Racing Team
rox

Postby rox » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:43 am

Some less photographed update (I'm running out of time so now I forget to take pictures).
Everything is almost back on the car.
Front diff/tcase is on with axles now. I also (since the photo) put the lower arms back on etc.

Most fluids are filled.

Driveshaft is on. Downpipe is on.
Front hubs are on... still playing around with putting extended studs on the rear hubs.

I ended up picking up the wrong package of studs for the front (yay) so what I ended up doing is swapping the +10mm studs from the front hubs to the back, and now I'm waiting on special order (because Mitsubishi decided to be different of course) of SUPER long studs for the front. The front ones are going to be almost +30mm (good thing I have open lug nuts).

Within the next couple of days I'm hoping to give the car a crank (even if it's still on jackstands).
I'm hoping for: the car starts, runs, doesn't leak anything when warm.

May 4th comes quick, and I'll still need an alignment... so this car better be nice and work :)
rox

Postby Tracker » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:08 am

May 4th comes quick, and I'll still need an alignment... so this car better be nice and work :)

Mine is still in the snowbank... :shock:
Tracker
Tracker

Postby rox » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:18 am

Tracker wrote:

Mine is still in the snowbank... :shock:

This weather is slightly concerning to say the least... maybe we will need winter tires for May 4th.
rox

Postby rox » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:34 pm

Things happened, got the car running, rolling, working quite well (only issue I found thus far is my boostgauge isn't boostgauging... wiring issue of some sort maybe).

I also got some stacks of the future wide body/tire conversion.

E5 flairs for more space in the back (yay for part outs)

8.5/17 +37 BBS forged wheels - apparently rather rare spec (yay for part outs x2)

Got my fog lamp opening covers cut out at plasticplus out of 1/8 puckboard, haven't had time to mess around to install them but the purpose is to regulate the random air being jammed through those openings into the engine bay (I'll probably get these done this summer sometime...)

We had both team cars out for a test drive the other day (before winter came back...).

Next we need to get alignments done and they're pretty much ready for track.
I mean... I still need to put my bride seat in and do some little things but all in all we're kind-of-pretty-much-sort-of ready to go here.
rox

Postby colin3 » Mon May 07, 2018 2:16 pm

What did you hurt?
Colin Puttick
colin3

Postby rox » Tue May 08, 2018 5:10 am

colin3 wrote:What did you hurt?

If you’re referring to my recent car accident: just muscles and feelings. This was in my daily Lancer, I switched to a Mazda3 now. Kind of tired of wrecking Lancers.

However I decided it’s not a good idea to push things too hard for a few weeks so I’m not going to Knox (too sore for a trip like that plus the event is hard just on its own).

Going back to the track on June 8th likely to do Time Attack.
rox

Postby colin3 » Tue May 08, 2018 8:36 am

Sorry to hear that Marcin.
Colin Puttick
colin3

Postby rox » Tue May 08, 2018 9:05 am

colin3 wrote:Sorry to hear that Marcin.

Thanks.
It could have been way worse, thankfully everyone came out ok (with the exception of both vehicles in the collision, both got totalled).
I think life is just making me slow down a bit here and take a step back, reevaluate my schedule - so I did.
All is well, can't wait to drive the Evo at Castrol soon :)
rox

Postby rox » Wed May 23, 2018 8:08 am

More updates on the car.

I got some of my new "fancy" stuff in.

Got a Personal green stitched steering wheel and the BRIDE ProFace seat installed (such fun getting in and out of the car now... especially cause I sit pretty close to the wheel, I think I need to do a quick release hub in the future):

Since I didn't go to Knox I had the chance to go hang out with them Evo boys at 780 Tuners Season opener, we didn't all get to park in the same place but in either case we got to showcase both cars (Aaron's car now with finished livery, soooo nice!).

I also took the plunge and bought some OE Fog Lamp Covers that came standard on the Evo IV RS cars... There has been a set in the UK that I have been watching on eBay for I think almost 2 years... finally bought them (even though I have those puckboard cutouts). I figure since the bumper is all painted nice I should treat it with respect and throw the original fog lamp covers to complete the look and the geeky "RS-ification" (i.e look at Aaron's bumper):

Also June 8th is still the plan for track day! For me... shakedown of the car, hopefully successful and I can maybe push it a tad in the afternoon :)
rox

Postby rox » Wed May 30, 2018 7:55 am

Wow, that was fast!
I got my RS fog lamp covers the other day.
I originally though they were coming from the UK cause I paid GBP for them... but they actually came from Japan, not that it really matters... but it's just a little extra special.

Brand frikking new set in perfect shape.

So the problem here... is that... now that I go these I am going to have to continue throwing RS parts at this car. The responsibility has been applied by default now.

I already have the mechanical RS things such as the rear LSD diff, and the short steering rack. I'm also running the Evo IV RS ECU.
The front LSD is off an Evo VI... so not quite Evo IV RS but close enough.

Exterior:
I have the RS side view mirrors, and now the RS fog lamp covers (a.k.a. fog delete).
Naturally, next will be the RS black door handles (Aaron may have a set to sell).
Followed by RS radio antenna, on the RS models that was mounted just at the tip of the outside of the A pillar.
If I got my hands on a rear window that removes the wiper then the outside of the RSification would be complete!

On the interior I have the manual window regulators in the front (none in the rear, of course due to the polycarbonate static mounted windows).

To finish off the interior to satisfaction here are the following things I could (should) do:

RS dash (the RS dash didn't have the passenger airbag hence it didn't have a slot for it, making it a one piece dashboard instead of the airbag insert on the GSR).
RS manual heat controls - we did the conversion on Aaron's previous car; it was quite a pain to make it happen and required some re-wiring to make the fan speed controls to work, but it's doable and super cool.
The RS model also came with a different module for wiper control, removing the option of the rear wiper that the GSR models had...
I could possibly also throw in the RS doorcards, although not sure how far I want to go with that because racecar afterall and my corrugated plastic ones are more... racecarish than real doorcards...

I really hope I never crash and have to scrap this car :cry:
rox

Postby rox » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:07 am

Updates and stuff:

Hankook Ventus Z214 C71 are too soft for running laps at Castrol... I already knew that, but I bought them for Knox - where I didn't go. And kinda almost ruined 2 of 4 tires at Castrol in one day. Actually one of them chunked in places so there's that.
Fear not... just don't look at bank account... I got the medium compound for my next race day which is the C51, and they arrived in time for June 22nd (already have them mounted actually).

With all that I managed to beat my personal track record (video pending) and also reached my goal for this season (so anything faster than that this year would be gravy):
1:30.596 is my new best (pulled in qualifying laps, couldn't do it in points sessions) - which is nowhere near what the car can do so I still have a long way to go.

Found some new funky issues after the event (which may have something to do with my slower times when the weather got warmer and I was driving harder - I mean aside form the wrong compound tire).
Apparently my car now decided to spew power steering fluid out of the power steering cooler, which may have been (really... it was) partially coating my front left tire with some of that fluid (because that's the most ideal tire at Castrol to have sketchy traction on).
Knowing what we know from the most recent Evo V partout is that on the V vs the IV they removed the cooler and just looped the lines behind the intercooler. I wonder why... hmmm!?
Thankfully, already knowing that I had some issues with that part (not as big as last time, I was going to leave this alone till next season) I snagged that Evo V part.
So, now my car has an eliminated leaking issue!

Other than that I got the fog lamp covers installed to reduce the random air jamming into the engine bay and complete the RS look.

One more thing to do before...tomorrow... is to install the catch can cause my blow-by is getting a little worse (running thinner oil this season, so that probably has something to do with it).

Crossing fingers I make it through this season on that motor because I don't have a whole whack of time to swap motors mid-season!
rox

Postby rox » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:00 am

Here is the 1:30.596 run.
https://youtu.be/poMVF22boyM

Getting a little better a this.
Still fearful to just throw the car in a few places, that's definitely where I'm loosing time that I know and I can improve...
rox

Postby rox » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:47 am

Excitements from last track day (on June 22nd).

I installed the catch can for blow-by oil. Which we determined caused a pressure issues.
I found out about my pressure issues when my dipstick popped out of the tube and sprayed oil all over my motor/downpipe = nice smoke show.

I have to say though, it the most comfortable feeling to have a fire extinguisher in the car, I was very relaxed while getting out of the vehicle and popping the hood knowing that I got the right equipment.
Thankfully I didn't need it, nothing caught on fire.

In either case we checked everything over (much thanks to Aaron here for helping me go over things - I wouldn't have known what to look for) and tracked it down to the catch can.
The fix was to loop the hose back to the intake tube and I kept running laps afterwards.

New tires, the Hankook C51 are much better (duh) I can do more laps and 4-5 laps into the race they start gripping almost the same the the C71.

I ran consistently at or around 1:31.5xx didn't quite go as fast as the time before but that's ok, maybe next time.
Hopefully I can manage this season to hit that 1:30.5xx mark again and if I manage to go lower that would be fantastic.
rox

Postby Tracker » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:59 pm

rox wrote:Excitements from last track day (on June 22nd).

You don't know how "excited" the marshals were about your car smoking (again) on the radio chatter. they love to do the cleanup! :)

Joking aside, I am glad it was minor/non-issue compared to what could have been. You looked fast out there and I think it will get better with each outing!
Tracker
Tracker

Postby rox » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:34 pm

Tracker wrote:
rox wrote:Excitements from last track day (on June 22nd).

You don't know how "excited" the marshals were about your car smoking (again) on the radio chatter. they love to do the cleanup! :)

Joking aside, I am glad it was minor/non-issue compared to what could have been. You looked fast out there and I think it will get better with each outing!

Thanks Fernando, I got much to learn still but at least I'm not all over the map with my driving.

And I DID tell Paul that I'm expecting the car to smoke again for a bit once everything heats up.
I guess I should have told the marshals directly...
rox

Postby colin3 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:57 pm

Let's drop some time by actually doing less. At least try this more than once. Maybe see if you can go out for an extra session or two with yellow so you can do some practice. Your car has power and torque so... and you might see a common theme.

Overall I would steer less, steer slower/smoother and shift gears less. Try and simplify the tricky parts. I'd suggest also to put your hand back on the steering wheel instead of leaving it on your shifter but maybe that's just crazy talking. These tips should also help your blow by issues at least a little. I've tried to add the time index to each point below the t= part at the end of the youtube video URL is the amount of seconds from the beginning of the video in case it goofs up for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poMVF22boyM&t=40s
Going into 4 stay in 3rd. You're probably over slowing to get into 2nd w/o blowing up your engine and when you finally get on the gas in 2nd you're almost rev'd out and shifting right away back into 3rd. I bet you're faster eliminating both shifts, the over slowing and the power from 3rd at that RPM is probably better suited anyways. You will also be able to have less steering corrections and less (hopefully no) throttle corrections

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poMVF22boyM&t=56s
Going into 5 get on the gas gently right after the bump. Stay in 4th to smooth things out. A good goal between 5 and 6 is to get the car feeling awesome and attack 6 instead of going like stink between 5 - 6 and having to slow down for 6. Accel into 6 by settling the car before it. Being in 4th should also let you get on the power a little earlier. Turn your head and look out the right window - force yourself to in this space between 5 and 6.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poMVF22boyM&t=68s
Going into 7 stay in 4th over 7, get back on the gas then shift from 4 to 2 at 8. Don't hit the curb on 8 it looks like a big bump for your car. If you turn in later at 8 (patience) you'll have a better line through 8,9,10 and not get so far inside on the left.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poMVF22boyM&t=80s
Going into 10 you want to have the car parallel to the track or that corner is even tighter. I think you're turning in too soon (so does the turn in cone) and that is apparent by how you drive the next corner - it looks like your're turning right before you need to and maybe before the weight has even fully transferred - again patience here. Use corner 10 to get yourself setup for an awesome 11.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poMVF22boyM&t=90s
Going into the kink - let's make this simpler and not blow up your engine. Stay in 3rd. Concentrate on line and braking. Then you'll have more brain power to get a little better line further out right, patience again, and you might be able to get on the gas a tad earlier due to not being at the very top of your RPM band. The exit will be less dramatic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poMVF22boyM&t=103s
Going into 1, stay in 4th. It looks like you're over braking here again so you can use 3rd. It also simplifies things and lets you drive with both hands and look ahead more. Aim for the umbrella on the left and try to maintain as much speed as you can between 1 - 2. You might need to shift into 2nd for 2 or might not. I bet you can stay in 3rd for 2 if you keep your speed up. Don't turn into 2 too early and turn your head and look out the window and try to hit the curb but don't. It's banked and uphill so you can carry more speed here then you think.

Anyways, I hope that helps. I know it will. It's cool there are so many things just I can see and you're already getting a fast time so that's really cool you should be able to get even faster and be nicer to your car at the same time!

See you next Friday?
Colin Puttick
colin3

Postby rox » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:39 am

colin3 wrote:Let's drop some time by actually doing less. At least try this more than once. Maybe see if you can go out for an extra session or two with yellow so you can do some practice. Your car has power and torque so... and you might see a common theme.

Overall I would steer less, steer slower/smoother and shift gears less. Try and simplify the tricky parts. I'd suggest also to put your hand back on the steering wheel instead of leaving it on your shifter but maybe that's just crazy talking. These tips should also help your blow by issues at least a little. I've tried to add the time index to each point below the t= part at the end of the youtube video URL is the amount of seconds from the beginning of the video in case it goofs up for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poMVF22boyM&t=40s
Going into 4 stay in 3rd. You're probably over slowing to get into 2nd w/o blowing up your engine and when you finally get on the gas in 2nd you're almost rev'd out and shifting right away back into 3rd. I bet you're faster eliminating both shifts, the over slowing and the power from 3rd at that RPM is probably better suited anyways. You will also be able to have less steering corrections and less (hopefully no) throttle corrections

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poMVF22boyM&t=56s
Going into 5 get on the gas gently right after the bump. Stay in 4th to smooth things out. A good goal between 5 and 6 is to get the car feeling awesome and attack 6 instead of going like stink between 5 - 6 and having to slow down for 6. Accel into 6 by settling the car before it. Being in 4th should also let you get on the power a little earlier. Turn your head and look out the right window - force yourself to in this space between 5 and 6.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poMVF22boyM&t=68s
Going into 7 stay in 4th over 7, get back on the gas then shift from 4 to 2 at 8. Don't hit the curb on 8 it looks like a big bump for your car. If you turn in later at 8 (patience) you'll have a better line through 8,9,10 and not get so far inside on the left.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poMVF22boyM&t=80s
Going into 10 you want to have the car parallel to the track or that corner is even tighter. I think you're turning in too soon (so does the turn in cone) and that is apparent by how you drive the next corner - it looks like your're turning right before you need to and maybe before the weight has even fully transferred - again patience here. Use corner 10 to get yourself setup for an awesome 11.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poMVF22boyM&t=90s
Going into the kink - let's make this simpler and not blow up your engine. Stay in 3rd. Concentrate on line and braking. Then you'll have more brain power to get a little better line further out right, patience again, and you might be able to get on the gas a tad earlier due to not being at the very top of your RPM band. The exit will be less dramatic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poMVF22boyM&t=103s
Going into 1, stay in 4th. It looks like you're over braking here again so you can use 3rd. It also simplifies things and lets you drive with both hands and look ahead more. Aim for the umbrella on the left and try to maintain as much speed as you can between 1 - 2. You might need to shift into 2nd for 2 or might not. I bet you can stay in 3rd for 2 if you keep your speed up. Don't turn into 2 too early and turn your head and look out the window and try to hit the curb but don't. It's banked and uphill so you can carry more speed here then you think.

Anyways, I hope that helps. I know it will. It's cool there are so many things just I can see and you're already getting a fast time so that's really cool you should be able to get even faster and be nicer to your car at the same time!

See you next Friday?

Hey! Thanks for taking the time to review this.
I’ll do my best to apply some of these techniques, they make sense.

I definitely need more seat time to get smoother and overthink less.
I find that, especially towards the end of the sessions, I start overdriving the car with jaw clinching and white knuckling. Still quite amateur... and that’s when my line and times really go way down. Definitely something to also work on!

I’m possibly going on July 20th again. Also we will likely bring both Evos on August 5th for ASA lapping just to do some relaxing track time, and then do the Time Attack on the 6th.
rox

Postby SirSidewaystheThird » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:02 pm

Couple things I'll add on to Colin's excellent analysis!

#1: You seem to be turning in late and "throwing" the car in the high speed corners, most noticeably turn 1 (this kind of falls under Colins steer less/slower/smoother). While a nice little scandi flick can be a good way to drive an understeering car in the tighter corners, I think you would benefit from a more gentle, arcing entry phase. Think of it like the opposite of your exit phase; you slowly wind the steering wheel back to center as you increase your throttle input, and in the same way you should slowly wind the steering tighter as you come off the brakes and approach your apex. Doing this increases the radius of your line, and a wider radius means you can carry more speed to and past your apex.

#2: Try to aim for an earlier apex, especially in turns 2, 4, 6, 8, 11 and even a little in 3. You seem to be leaving just a bit on the table on the exit of all these corners, which in an all-wheel drive car means you aren't utilizing the cars greatest strength. I'll use turn 4 as an example, because it seems to be where the issue is greatest.

In turn 4, the Track Junkies novice school teaches us to brake deep, turn in late and have a late apex in roughly the last half of the curbing. This is a very, very safe line, because there are few cars that would be able to spin their tires if they got on the throttle at that apex and were tracking out correctly. They teach this line because there's that concrete wall on the out side edge of the track that will hurt you and your car if you lose the rear (or front) end. You aren't driving this line exactly, but you're not too far off. Try to turn in earlier (immediately after the final braking cone seems like a good place to start) and start experimenting with apexes in the first half of the curbing. You may have to be a little more gentle when you first get back on the throttle, but play with the throttle steer and don't be afraid to get a bit closer to the wall (or lift entirely if you think you are going to hit it). Here is a good example of my line in turn 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWxggGkzhds&t=520s If you took this line and moved the turn-in point and apex a couple feet later (keep in mind the turn-in point affects your apex quite a lot) I think it would work very well for your car.

#3: I see you driving a relatively smooth line in the chicane, but this is where you want to throw point #1 to the dogs and toss the car in. Hold onto that right hand curbing just a moment longer, and throw the car at the apex with the intent of just grazing the red and white curb. You should even be able to start touching the throttle before your apex to help keep the car in line for a good exit.

That's all I've got for now, if you have any questions feel free to throw them out there!
2000 Hyundai Tiburon aka "Broose"
Cyrus P.
Scouts-class Tiburon - Always bEPrepared
SirSidewaystheThird

Postby rox » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:54 am

SirSidewaystheThird wrote:Couple things I'll add on to Colin's excellent analysis!

#1: You seem to be turning in late and "throwing" the car in the high speed corners, most noticeably turn 1 (this kind of falls under Colins steer less/slower/smoother). While a nice little scandi flick can be a good way to drive an understeering car in the tighter corners, I think you would benefit from a more gentle, arcing entry phase. Think of it like the opposite of your exit phase; you slowly wind the steering wheel back to center as you increase your throttle input, and in the same way you should slowly wind the steering tighter as you come off the brakes and approach your apex. Doing this increases the radius of your line, and a wider radius means you can carry more speed to and past your apex.

#2: Try to aim for an earlier apex, especially in turns 2, 4, 6, 8, 11 and even a little in 3. You seem to be leaving just a bit on the table on the exit of all these corners, which in an all-wheel drive car means you aren't utilizing the cars greatest strength. I'll use turn 4 as an example, because it seems to be where the issue is greatest.

In turn 4, the Track Junkies novice school teaches us to brake deep, turn in late and have a late apex in roughly the last half of the curbing. This is a very, very safe line, because there are few cars that would be able to spin their tires if they got on the throttle at that apex and were tracking out correctly. They teach this line because there's that concrete wall on the out side edge of the track that will hurt you and your car if you lose the rear (or front) end. You aren't driving this line exactly, but you're not too far off. Try to turn in earlier (immediately after the final braking cone seems like a good place to start) and start experimenting with apexes in the first half of the curbing. You may have to be a little more gentle when you first get back on the throttle, but play with the throttle steer and don't be afraid to get a bit closer to the wall (or lift entirely if you think you are going to hit it). Here is a good example of my line in turn 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWxggGkzhds&t=520s If you took this line and moved the turn-in point and apex a couple feet later (keep in mind the turn-in point affects your apex quite a lot) I think it would work very well for your car.

#3: I see you driving a relatively smooth line in the chicane, but this is where you want to throw point #1 to the dogs and toss the car in. Hold onto that right hand curbing just a moment longer, and throw the car at the apex with the intent of just grazing the red and white curb. You should even be able to start touching the throttle before your apex to help keep the car in line for a good exit.

That's all I've got for now, if you have any questions feel free to throw them out there!

Thanks man.
I shall also take all this under consideration.
Fact is that turn 4 I used to do more like your line, but then I changed it a bit this year. I read some stuff and started adjusting things.

It's going to take me a while to absorb all this stuff for sure (I seem to learn slow) so all in all thanks for the information and I will try things out on Friday.

One of these days, maybe, I will run that perfect lap by piecing everything in a proper sequence.
rox

Postby rox » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:48 pm

I actually have quite a bit to write, just not exactly the time to do it. But I'll get around to it.

Fist off thanks for all the tips, I started shifting less and trying out what the car feels like in different gears around those corners. I loved it. I almost matched my track record at the last sessions and I didn't even feel like my laps were very good. I was quite surprised when I saw a 1:30.666 (video pending) but felt like a run crappy laps.

So less busy with shifting and more focused on line definitely works!
I also managed to beat my wet slicks lap record at 01:38.297 (video pending) from my previous wet slicks lap at 1:41.055 (https://youtu.be/A9_q2ua5438).

Here is a quick edit of trying to take turn 1 in puddles of water and on Hankook Z214 C51s... https://youtu.be/SyQ0DPEvEro

It doesn't look as scary as how I felt while it was happening. I wasn't really sure what the car was going to do so I had a split moment of thinking what towing company I need to call and where to put my wrecked car... but... it was all good...

Currently working out more issues with the car before this upcoming long weekend. If I manage to fix some stuff I will hopefully run Sunday with ASA, and Monday with TJ.
rox

Postby rox » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:46 am

Here is my 1:30.666 lap with the new gear shifting: https://youtu.be/Q2tv5kGcKXY

Now here's what else is happening.
My car is... running. Safely. But it has been through much abuse over the 5 years of AutoX, long roadtrips, Hill Climb, and pushing hard at Time Attack...

Things need to be maintained, replaced, fixed, adjusted. These need to be done before I can keep pushing hard.

I am closing my Time Attack season (better quit while I'm ahead) and only going to do some ASA lapping (maybe 1, maybe 2) because I can just take it easy and still get some more track time out of this summer.
At Time Attack I had issues off and on with front wheel hubs, wheel studs, and things alike. Along the way with some other issues like tie rods, sway bar linkage, things starting to ooze slowly on the motor, some overheating in certain components.

I'm walking away from this season with an official time record of 1:30.596, which is precisely what I had set out to do with my current skillset and this car.

Of course we now have our 2nd car/driver back in the seat starting tomorrow so we will be running some more Time Attack in the BRIDE CANADA car (by we I mean Aaron, and I'll be doing pits when I can).

More updates on what's been going on and what's coming up with my car will be posted soon-ish.

It's for sure out of commission next year though because:
1. Maintenance items, more new bushings, fixing little stuff so it doesn't turn into big stuff
2. Finishing all the little things (like cleaning the interior, paining some ugly stuff inside, cleaning up wiring etc.)
3. Motor swap to a 32k 4g63 from Aaron's old Evo IV
4. Possibly wide-body conversion (depending on how the other things go)

It would be decent to drive the car around next year maybe towards the end of summer but I'm out from Time Attack for a season for sure so I can catch up on things.
rox

Postby rox » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:35 pm

Some of you may have already heard or saw... car 888 left on a flat deck from Track Junkies this past long weekend.
We had another mechanical issue, possibly a shut thermostat. The car overheated suddenly but there is high probability of internal damage (the motor sounded very rough).
This vehicle is now out for the season :(

My car will be out most likely on September 2nd for the last event this year and then it's getting parked for winter (we're doing a heavy snowboarding season with my family this year so not really much room for ripping the car apart, maybe with the exceptional bolt here and there).

We (Club 456) will have a bunch of content coming out over the next few weeks and hopefully pretty consistently over the next months - mostly Evo related vlogs, photos/videos, and some more tech (if anyone has ever dug through our website at http://club456.ca you may have seen our tech section - we will have more of that since both cars will be taken apart again, maintained, modified, fixed and so on).

To avoid being obnoxiously texty and boring here are some pictures of the latest adventures on my car (no major failures, but things that needed to be addressed, and will require further maintenance)

Snapped front sway-bar bracket (was fixed before the ASA Lapping last weekend thanks to Aaron!), compared to the bracket that was fixed last year on Aaron's car - which essentially is the same fix for the one that snapped this year:

Now my wheel stud and hub issues...
I had a set wheel studs that I purchased, and they were almost the right ones! Except weren't quite wide enough to stay secure in the hub - so we tack welded them, that worked well.
This was to get the car on the road before the other set of wheel studs I ordered which came in weeks later (the right right ones).
Idea was to finish the season on the welded studs and then I had a second set of knuckles/hubs the new studs would be going on.

Well that didn't work because I messed up the threads on the wheel studs I was currently using, here are some pics:

That's no problem because I have these, right?

Right... well not that simple.
First of all I needed Aaron's help to install them because I don't have proper enough tools to pull these through without wrecking the threading.
All good though, got those on.

EXCEPT I didn't notice that the right hand hub bearing has some form of an issue - it's loose and has up and down and back and froth play which just doesn't work for pushing the car with slicks at Time Attack.

Aaron had another spare knuckle/hub with stock studs on but we just ran out of time (and I think I ran out of patience) to swap the long wheel studs over and so forth.
The car now is running on shorter studs, still ok with a 5mm spacer (to accommodate my new tired width for the RE71Rs and the wheels they are on) but will not work with the slicks/wheels and I don't feel comfortable running the car at Time Attack (one of the reasons why I wrapped it up, not the only one of course but a significant one).

In the middle of that stuff I also swapped in some new Hawk HP Plus pads (to replace the old HP Plus), these have lasted quite a while but started performing poorly at around the 50% level.

Not super disappointing cause I think this is the 3rd season I have been running the same pads (or at least 2nd season). I have to say though I had pads before that I ran almost down to bare metal and stayed consistent all the way throughout.

All of this was addressed before the ASA event, car was shaken down on some mildly spirited Henday driving. All was well so the car was, and is, good for another ASA Lapping event (unless I find puddles of fluids underneath - I parked it offsite since the last event and haven't seen it since).

//end story
rox

Postby rox » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:30 am

I decided to shut it down for the season.

We had some more mechanical problems with Aaron's Evo, that one will be undergoing more work (probably a new motor, and then some super secret other fun stuff).

My car is starting to beg for fixing and maintenance, and that it shall get.
I've been pushing this car pretty hard for 5 season and it's starting to show.

I mean it's still running strong but I have to address some issues before they become big problems - i.e. quitting (for a bit) while I'm still relatively ahead of the (patching up issues) game.

Some items that will be addressed:
- Motor swap
- Moar bushing replacement
- Fixing some bolts and studs
- Fully addressing my hub/knuckle issues
- Reinforcing and adjusting problem areas that we have learned about from the past 3 seasons of tracking two Evo IVs
- Moar gauges (yes Fernando, I will finally install those F*ING gauges); oil temp/pressure, new boost gauge, and then we will see what else, I kind of want a big ass tach light so i don't forget to shift before I get to the bouncy rev range, ratatatata...

When the time comes (car is very likely going to be parked off-site until spring next year) I will be finishing off some of the visual/organizational stuff as well (bunch of things I have been putting off for a while to keep up with racing schedule) in no particular order or priority:

- Finish RS conversion
- Get a few more body panels re-painted
- Clean/paint engine bay (since it's FUGLY, and the motor will be out so why not)
- Clean/paint cabin interior
- Rust proof underbody
- Rip apart wiring harness, simplify by removing unused wires (from removed systems such as automatic windows, speakers, AYC system, ABS, fog lamps, and so forth)
- Possibly going with widebody, not really 100% convinced I want to do that... I have a few blockages with this one:
-- I love how the Evo IV looks so I'm not super sure I want to go changing body panels... sort of want to keep the original look
-- I'm half and half on either doing basic flairs or the different fenders that I have and then running an Evo V rear flairs and rear bumper
-- I would like to put wider wheels with wider tires on this car, and I can't go much wider than I already have without replacing/modifying the body panels to fit (simply rolling and pulling stuff will not do any further)
- Still want to replace the rear window with polycarbonate
- Re-do the poly windows on the rear doors and go full window instead of the split 1/4
- Cut out all "crap" from rear doors that's not needed (basically chop most of the inner shell and take crash-bars out)
- Install front of roll cage (which essentially would be custom build by Aaron again)
-- With that I would also like to chop up the front doors and remove crash-bars, while somehow maintaining the ability to keep roll down windows BUT replace glass with polycarbonate ??
- Make nicer door cards for front doors, and make door cards for rear chopped doors (for a cleaner look)
- Possibly add some aero improvements but not too much because, again, I'd like to keep the look/bodyline of the car close to original
- Functional rally style roof scoop; because I always wanted a car with a functional rally style roof scoop!!!

So here we go, this is very likely going to be an extended project this time and the car will be out of commission for next season...

I'm probably not doing anything this winter because we're supposed to go hard at snowboaring and indoor skateparks with my son. Car type work stuffs will resume spring 2019.

I'm not entirely sure how I will survive a whole summer of not racing... maybe I'll bring my Mazda out to do some easy lapping... or something.
rox

Postby SirSidewaystheThird » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:11 am

So this means you won't be at Knox next year? :cry:
2000 Hyundai Tiburon aka "Broose"
Cyrus P.
Scouts-class Tiburon - Always bEPrepared
SirSidewaystheThird

Postby rox » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:55 pm

SirSidewaystheThird wrote:So this means you won't be at Knox next year? :cry:

Yea no Knox for a while :(
I’m thinking probably not till 2021, I need next year to put the car together. 2020 to work out any issues at Castrol, and then take the car to Knox again. It’s so hard to keep up the schedule I just have to space it out...
rox

Postby colin3 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:50 pm

Sounds like a lot of fun. :)
Colin Puttick
colin3

Postby rox » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:32 am

colin3 wrote:Sounds like a lot of fun. :)

Yeah I'm definitely looking forward to working on it. With less of "I have to have this done by this day on this month" it's going to more fun. It started becoming too much hustle and I tend to stress out about things I shouldn't... this way I can take my time and also do it right instead of "good enough".
rox

Postby rox » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:26 am

Here is that "fastest wet slick lap" video I finally uploaded:

https://youtu.be/eqm9pXbrJ3c

So this one is 1:38.297. Also not a completely soaked track but for the most part wet, and with puddles.
I can still run faster on skinny RE71Rs... I think I did something around 1:34.xxx on really crappy 71s that were 205 width.

With this tire (Hankook C71) I'm just about 8 seconds slower on wet than on dry... whatever that means (I have no idea what it means, if anything at all).
rox

Previous

Return to #garageofidiots