My Evo IV GSR to RS to some kind of race car

Your builds

Re: My Evo IV GSR to RS to some kind of race car

Postby UncleAl » Wed May 03, 2017 10:13 am

Hi Marcin,
Enjoyed your build write up, you sure are serious.
Know coming up quickly, will be great to see the two of you racers and host and assist you in the pits.
Take care drive safely getting here!
Uncle Al
UncleAl

Postby rox » Wed May 03, 2017 2:14 pm

UncleAl wrote:Hi Marcin,
Enjoyed your build write up, you sure are serious.
Know coming up quickly, will be great to see the two of you racers and host and assist you in the pits.
Take care drive safely getting here!
Uncle Al

Thanks Al!
Hard to believe we're less than 3 weeks away at this point.
We'll see you there :)
Marcin D. : 1996 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV GSR (RSified and Racecar-ish)
rox

Postby rox » Thu May 04, 2017 7:10 am

Some last minute cleanup.
I was expecting to peel the plasti dip off my front bumper and get it re-painted... eventually.

However with where the team (Club 456) is going and our new sponsors I got a nudge in the right direction: basically get rid of the plasti dip.
So here we go! The bumper/lip will be repainted by RJ (you know him, you've seen him, you heard of him) who will be helping me out by squeezing this in on a tight schedule.

This and the rest of the decals and the car will be good to go for Knox aesthetically!

rox

Postby rox » Thu May 11, 2017 10:55 am

All kinds of badness:

Turned into this:

Bumper goes back on tonight and tomorrow the car is in at Invision to get the livery finished.
rox

Postby SirSidewaystheThird » Thu May 11, 2017 4:18 pm

That paint job is way too nice to use "race car" in the thread title :P
Fuel goes in, seals come out. Welcome to the wonderful world of the rotary engine.

Cyrus P.
Scouts-class Rx-8 - Always be Prepared
SirSidewaystheThird

Postby rox » Fri May 12, 2017 7:37 am

SirSidewaystheThird wrote:That paint job is way too nice to use "race car" in the thread title :P

I am totally paranoid now to drive it!
rox

Postby rox » Fri May 12, 2017 7:43 am

Some final touches with new not rusted to $hit fasteners and it's all back together:

Looking really exciting!

Also final safety gear for Knox Mountain, custom aluminum bracket (design and production courtesy of Aaron, the teammate) for the BC fire extinguisher.
It fastens to the original passenger seat mount and it entirely removable (yet super SOLID) when not needed:

rox

Postby DoctorDave » Sat May 13, 2017 6:52 am

Looking Good !!
DoctorDave

Postby rox » Wed May 17, 2017 7:34 am

Kinda of a late night last night with Invision Auto Imports but the livery for this season is done!
rox

Postby colin3 » Wed May 17, 2017 12:27 pm

Wow. Racecar!
Colin Puttick

Lap Times: (Castrol Raceway)
2004 Mazda RX8, coilovers, on Z2's, 2015/10/12: 1:32.981. ASA course: 2015/08/16: 59.939
1991 Acura Integra, IT2 Racecar, on Rivals, 2014/07/26: 1:37.292
2004 Mazda 3, on RE-11A, 2014/08/27: 1:41.014
colin3

Postby colin3 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:30 pm

I see your name in the Knox SP-3 results: 3rd place?
Do you have stories/videos?
Colin Puttick

2004 Mazda RX8, coilovers, on Z2's, 2015/10/12: 1:32.981. ASA course: 2015/08/16: 59.939
colin3

Postby rox » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:37 pm

colin3 wrote:I see your name in the Knox SP-3 results: 3rd place?
Do you have stories/videos?

Hey Colin. Sure do! Both video and stories.
Just catching up with life stuff that was set aside to get my car ready for this season... I will be posting soon.
You can also check out Club 456 on Facebook (https://facebook.com/club456evo) that's where the most to date stuff goes up.
Will be eventually writing an article for the website about the experience...
rox

Postby colin3 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:04 am

Thanks Marcin, I 'liked' your page on the Facebook. Yup, tons of stuff on there. 8)
Watched some of your lapping videos. That car takes some muscle to hustle it around the corners... and then it goes fast :)
Colin Puttick

colin3

Postby rox » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:58 am

colin3 wrote:Thanks Marcin, I 'liked' your page on the Facebook. Yup, tons of stuff on there. 8)
Watched some of your lapping videos. That car takes some muscle to hustle it around the corners... and then it goes fast :)

Awesome! Thanks for the interest, it's encouraging :)
The car is pretty frikking quick, and that's on a stock motor with like ZERO done to it.
I have some money into the suspension/handling... will be adding a few more items for next season but that's about it!

There is still so much car for me to learn I just need to keep it maintained and running - and then just keep molding myself to it and keep learning how to drive.
rox

Postby rox » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:26 am

Some "past the start of the season" updates on the car:

Did the season opener Track Junkies Time Attack sessions - I drove slow, should have driven much faster, especially on slicks - but dusted off some cobwebs.

Photo credit Luke English (this was before I got the livery finished)

Check out the silly hand shuffling and inconsistencies here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_CPJqh8t8c

Still beat my personal record from last year. If I have any slicks left after Boxer Battle I will try to go back and run with the transponder again this year. If slicks are gone there is really no point of running Time Attack anymore, cause any other "street" tire would be just an annoyance.

Anyway car did great! No issues (other than some minor rubbing from the 225 tires).

Then of course it was the BIG ONE for my amateur career. Knox Mountain!
Right of the bat much thanks to Al and Bev for helping us out (and housing, feeding us) through this event. And of course huge thanks to my teammate Aaron for helping me with a whole whack of everything on the car and making this event happen for me.

Photo credits Al and Bev

I managed to run 3 of 7 in class (SP-3) and 36 of 72 overall.
Here is my fastest run:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOn0AosSNOk

Of course more media can be found on YouTube, Instagram, and Facebook (anyone interested can find the links to those sources in the footer at http://club456.ca)

For now the car is living under a blanket, or actually not a blanket (or rather bed-sheets) but an actual car cover which I purchased as a gift and gratitude offering to my car for getting me to Kelowna, racing for 2 days, and then getting me back to Edmonton (yes... I drove the car... not doing that next year! renting a trailer for sure).

Some of you may have heard we had an incident with the Sliver Evo IV and that car is now being parted out. I already purchased a bunch of items off that car which will set me up for 2018:

- Ralliart front swaybar (adjustable and thicker than stock)
- Rear swaybar (thicker than stock)
- Turbo-back exhaust system (custom built by Aaron); mine is getting done, starting to show some leakage and what not
- RS steering (short) rack; still pending but I have somewhat dibs on that - my current one is leaking a little and the dust boot is sheered off on one side
- 32,xxx KM 4G63 unmolested motor with turbo!!!! this basically keeps me in the game for like the rest of my life I think, if my motor fails I have a spare (also the turbo on mine is starting to sweat oil so I'll just let it run out of life probably before I do anything with it)
-- so basically whenever my motor decides to shit the bed I'll be tossing this one in (or, next time it's time for a clutch job)

Other items for after this season will include:
- removing more AC stuff (still have the pump, condenser, fan to remove)
- removing more weight (maybe chopping the rear doors up finally)
- hopefully replacing rear window with polycarbonate
- I still have that front LSD/transfer case to drop in so that will be going in now that I have the other "frontal" items to do

In terms of events for the remainder of the season:

- Boxer Battle on July 29th (throwing the car on a trailer this time, kinda done with driving a racecar long distances) - before this I need to address tire rubbing issues which I found a few more spots after Knox and in a place that will be most definitely affected at this event
- Then likely an ASA Lapping Session, maybe some Time Attack (again depending on tires)
- Time permitted I'd still like to try to hit up on AutoX event (probably with ASA as well I don't feel like going to Calgary really...).

Next year (2018) should be more focused with a little less events (because family, kid, stuff):

Track Junkies Time Attack season opener
Knox Mountain Hill Climb (super crazy want to win SP3 class, but that's not going to be easy! I got many many seconds to make up and absolutely have to break the 2 minute barrier to even come anywhere close to winning)
ASA Lapping session

Cheers!
rox

Postby rox » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:02 pm

Since I kind of corded the walls on my R888s (on one of them really, and not too major but still there) I've switched to my old 16" tires with the 205 RE71R on them.

I'm going to Saskatoon soon and I was going to haul the car... buuut then it actually came out that it's cheaper for me to drive the Evo there and stay at an AirBnB place than to rent a trailer and try to hustle to give it back within 24 hrs.

I also picked up a bunch of parts among which I have now a set of full knuckles with extended studs (letting me safely run a +10mm spacer in the front for next year which in turn sets me up for continuing to run 225 tires hopefully without rubbing on the inner wells anymore; will have to try that out).

I still have to buy some bushings for the rear diff supports and hanger, and new inner tie rods for the RS rack but all in all sitting pretty good for setup for 2018, just have to put time in over winter and get it all pieced together again.

And the greatest thing of all is this 4G63 from Aaron that's now sitting in the garage waiting for when it's needed.

Pending the amount of time I have next year (and if nothing else happens to the current motor before then) I might actually take the old motor out, drop this one in, and potentially get some work done on the old motor (over some long period of time) and have ANOTHER motor to swap in that's going to be a little bit more built for when I'm ready for more power.

Of course if I kill the current motor before I pull it out that theory will be thrown out the window.
rox

Previous

Return to #garageofidiots