Aluminum Radiator in ST*

Look Ma, no R's

Aluminum Radiator in ST*

Postby Tracker » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:07 pm

I have been contemplating replacing my radiator with an aluminum one.

When i read the 2016 rules, it says:

14.10 ENGINE AND DRIVETRAIN
L. Engine cooling radiators may be replaced with alternate parts subject to the following restrictions:
1. Radiator core dimensions (width, height, thickness) cannot be smaller than the standard part.
2. Radiator must mount to OE radiator mounts.
3. Fluid capacity and dry weight of the radiator must be no less than that of the standard part. Installation of an alternate radiator may serve no other purpose (e.g., to allow a cold air intake passage).

The problem is that it seems impossible to find capacity and dry weight of either the OEM or possible Aluminum replacements (Mishimoto, Amazon/Ebay "specials", etc...). Perhaps my google-fu is lacking...

The SCCA Forum search sucks, and most of the other forum posts are related to the pre-2016 ruleset.

Suggestions? Thoughts?
Tracker
Tracker

Re: Aluminum Radiator in ST*

Postby ultimatt » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:12 pm

Run an alum rad and bolt weights to it if it's lighter?
Profile pic by GrantC
ultimatt

Postby Ladlesport » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:53 am

i don't see the big deal, its not going to be lighter than the stock one, core size (thickness) will out weight the rest of the aluminum parts. optionally, you can always get a bigger than stock one because increased capacity is allowed.
'99 Miata - STR
Former ASA Solo Committee Director ('13-'16)
Ladlesport

Postby Drunkn Munky » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:19 am

Ladlesport wrote:i don't see the big deal, its not going to be lighter than the stock one, core size (thickness) will out weight the rest of the aluminum parts. optionally, you can always get a bigger than stock one because increased capacity is allowed.

This is what I was thinking.
1991 Talon TSi - ASP
Drunkn Munky

Return to Street Touring