Who's going to Knox 2017?

Solo 1, Hill Climb, Rally, Road Racing, Ice Racing, maybe even drag....

Who's going to Knox 2017?

Postby rox » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:09 pm

Hey guys,

We're signed up for Knox 2017 - will be bringing two Evo's.
May trailer one and drive on, or drive both... not sure yet.

Anyone else planning on going? We could maybe arrange some kind of YEG convoy (I know it's still far ahead but time files!).
Marcin D. : 1996 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV GSR (RSified and Racecar-ish)
rox

Re: Who's going to Knox 2017?

Postby SirSidewaystheThird » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:03 pm

I'll be there. I'll probably be heading out on the Friday in the morning, I know the car will pass tech so I'm not too worried about getting there really early.
Fuel goes in, seals come out. Welcome to the wonderful world of the rotary engine.

Cyrus P.
Scouts-class Rx-8 - Always be Prepared
SirSidewaystheThird

Postby rox » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:54 am

SirSidewaystheThird wrote:I'll be there. I'll probably be heading out on the Friday in the morning, I know the car will pass tech so I'm not too worried about getting there really early.

What are you driving next year?
rox

Postby majormojo » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:08 pm

I can't make it next year. I'm going to be stuck in Monaco, going to a stupid F1 race that weekend.
Jim W, #24
WCMA Solosport Director
majormojo

Postby SirSidewaystheThird » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:15 pm

majormojo wrote:I can't make it next year. I'm going to be stuck in Monaco, going to a stupid F1 race that weekend.

Psssh, that should be easy to blow off, I'd think!

But seriously, post pictures and video when you go.

I'll have the Tiburon out at Knox, probably be running some Hoosiers or similar on it.
Fuel goes in, seals come out. Welcome to the wonderful world of the rotary engine.

Cyrus P.
SirSidewaystheThird

Postby rox » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:45 am

majormojo wrote:I can't make it next year. I'm going to be stuck in Monaco, going to a stupid F1 race that weekend.

;( I thought you would be bringing the Porsche!

SirSidewaystheThird wrote:I'll be there. I'll probably be heading out on the Friday in the morning, I know the car will pass tech so I'm not too worried about getting there really early.

Sounds good, so we'll either see you there or maybe we can ride together when it gets closer to the time.
rox

Postby DoctorDave » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:05 am

I plan/hope to take my formula car. I'm registered and the money's been paid, but the car is pretty much completely stripped down, with lots of re-assembly, new fab work and new parts to be installed. I've wanted to run Knox Mountain since the 80's so I'm hoping I can get the car all back together again in time.
DoctorDave

Postby DoctorDave » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:05 pm

The new floor pan is riveted in place, time to start putting the rest back together. Definitely getting real excited for Knox and another season of Solo!
Attachments
IMG_00000198sm.jpg
IMG_00000198sm.jpg (214.11 KiB) Viewed 843 times
DoctorDave

Postby SirSidewaystheThird » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:18 pm

All registered and paid up. Looking forward to it!

Cyrus P.
SirSidewaystheThird

Postby colin3 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:27 am

SirSidewaystheThird wrote:All registered and paid up. Looking forward to it!

Nice. You're going to be so much faster this year now you're a veteran. What car are you racing?
Colin Puttick

Lap Times: (Castrol Raceway)
2004 Mazda RX8, coilovers, on Z2's, 2015/10/12: 1:32.981. ASA course: 2015/08/16: 59.939
1991 Acura Integra, IT2 Racecar, on Rivals, 2014/07/26: 1:37.292
2004 Mazda 3, on RE-11A, 2014/08/27: 1:41.014
colin3

Postby rox » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:38 am

Awesome!
We can have our own Alberta battles haha. I suspect this is scary and need to bring bags of balls to run at 100%...
rox

Postby rox » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:38 am

DoctorDave wrote:The new floor pan is riveted in place, time to start putting the rest back together. Definitely getting real excited for Knox and another season of Solo!

Fancy!
rox

Postby SirSidewaystheThird » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:24 pm

colin3 wrote:
SirSidewaystheThird wrote:All registered and paid up. Looking forward to it!

Nice. You're going to be so much faster this year now you're a veteran. What car are you racing?

I'm planning to have the Tib for Knox. It wouldn't do to crash the Rx8 while I'm trying to sell it :). Though I would be pretty interested to see how much faster I would be on the RE-71R's and with knowing where and how I was losing time last year. Oh well. If I can keep up with the spec Miatas this year I will be content.

Cyrus P.
SirSidewaystheThird

Postby SirSidewaystheThird » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:42 am

Looking like there's gonna be a lot of people to play with in SP3. Maybe I should use the Rx8....

Cyrus P.
SirSidewaystheThird

Postby rox » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:18 am

SirSidewaystheThird wrote:Looking like there's gonna be a lot of people to play with in SP3. Maybe I should use the Rx8....

No maybe, join the SP3 Alberta Team :)

EDIT: you know you don't really want to sell the Rx8 anyway.
rox

Postby SirSidewaystheThird » Tue May 23, 2017 8:04 pm

Well, I had a pretty good weekend, although I can't say the same for everyone else. There was a lot of attrition on Saturday afternoon, both mechanical and crashy. We had 6 red flags within 2 run groups at one point :P. Aside from all that though, the weather was great, and the course was in pretty reasonable condition. Kelowna has been getting a lot of rain the last few weeks, the pit area was REALLY soft in some spots on Friday while everyone was bringing their trailers in, and the lake was getting close to breaking over the road into the park. Fortunately, the water stayed back and 30 degrees and sunshine dried things out some over the weekend.

A couple records were broken this weekend too, most interestingly the GT-O (and overall production/tin top chassis) record was reduced to 1:47.6 by Wouter Bouman in his 900-something horsepower #22 Rx7 (which is for sale, in case your balls don't quite fit between your legs). There were also a pair of B20 (probably)-swapped CRX's, one of which made a 1:57.8.

The first day there was some ok grip to the course, but it was dusty for the first run or two, though after that was cleared off it didn't seem to get much better. Then everyone broke down and crashed, and we only got 3 runs on Saturday. Sunday morning the course had some great grip and the air was still sort of cool, and I managed my best time of 2:16.7, which was only about 2.5 seconds off my time in the Rx8 last year. In the afternoon the course warmed up too much and got sort of greasy, and I had a few small mistakes that kept me from improving on my morning time.

Anyway, without further ado, here are the goods:
Fastest run: https://youtu.be/ZszhxfqFT2A
Small off/fuck up compilation from Sunday: https://youtu.be/GD4x3fAgF_Y

Cyrus P.
SirSidewaystheThird

Postby DoctorDave » Tue May 23, 2017 8:21 pm

Nice video's Cyrus! Did you get any good pictures :)
DoctorDave

Postby rox » Wed May 24, 2017 7:47 am

Nice smooth driving Cyrus!
rox

Postby SirSidewaystheThird » Wed May 24, 2017 9:07 am

DoctorDave wrote:Nice video's Cyrus! Did you get any good pictures :)

Yes, I will send you the pretty picture of you in your car when I get home :P

Cyrus P.
SirSidewaystheThird

Postby colin3 » Wed May 24, 2017 8:48 pm

Nice! Mods for next year: more power!
Colin Puttick

Lap Times: (Castrol Raceway)
2004 Mazda RX8, coilovers, on Z2's, 2015/10/12: 1:32.981. ASA course: 2015/08/16: 59.939
1991 Acura Integra, IT2 Racecar, on Rivals, 2014/07/26: 1:37.292
2004 Mazda 3, on RE-11A, 2014/08/27: 1:41.014
colin3

Postby rox » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:57 am

Here is my few paragraphs on my driving experience at Knox for the first time:

It's TRICKY! Nothing like anything I have ever done before. Such a public road, and going fast is a challenge - all this anomalies in the surface, and weird angles, places that basically want to throw you off the road if you go too fast or don't hit "the spot" right.

My first few runs I was pretty confused. Not in terms of I would have crashed my car, or I didn't know what I was doing...
Everything happens so fast, and the road is so tight, you're just basically driving taking it all in and trying to stay on the pavement. I didn't remember much of anything in the begging.

We also had an issue with the other team car, Aaron's sliver Evo IV.

He experienced a mechanical failure on the oil cooler. A fitting snapped off the oil cooler as he was doing his 2nd run up the hill (1st was practice, the 2nd run was the 1st official).
The oil coated his front right tire and pulled him into the concrete barrier on turn 8 at about 80kph (same place the green Radical crashed - this can be found on YouTube).

I was the car that was released roughly 30 seconds behind Aaron and as I was racing up the hill I was flagged down shortly before the incident.
Not a pretty sight so see your teammate in the wall! However it didn't look like he was hurt (he was still in the car though, talking to marshals).

He didn't sustain any injuries (safety gear works!!) but the extent of damage on the car and the amount of work to recover it was outside of what Aaron want's to do - the car is being parted out and he will be moving onto some other vehicle that's TBA.

Anyways after the car got hauled down the hill we quickly replaced the completely broken cast wheels and took the car offsite. We had it loaded straight from the flat deck onto the u-haul trailer (that we brought JUST IN CASE!) and then had to spend some time trying to get the bumper/splitter off the car so we could secure it on the trailer properly (basically with the front splitter, which got mangled, it wouldn't roll up to where it needed to sit on the trailer).

Once that was all done we headed back to the hill and I was able to still squeeze in one last run and improved my time from my practice run by roughly 6 seconds (so went from a 2:14.xxx to 2:08.xxx).

Day 2 went a little bit better.

I had a re-run from the previous day and I took that right early in the morning with the first run group. Run slow, but got myself ready for the day.
Following that I run a 2:08.xxx again, then I finally started feeling like I know where I can push harder.

I run a 2:06.549, was pretty happy about that but yet after this run I knew where I can go even FASTER!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOn0AosSNOk

Even though at this point I was quite satisfied with my time (I was honestly expecting to sit around some 2:12.xxx and definitely not below 2:10.xxx for this whole event) I wanted to give it one more go and then wrap it up and pack up.

On my final run everything was going amazing! I was flat out through most of the places where I was lifting (gained some confidence in the car, and myself). The run felt fast!
Then I got to Turn 8, a nasty hairpin with high elevation change, and a place were you don't want to lose momentum... BAM downshift... downshift... hit 4th great a couple times, lost all my speed, and could not recover from that major mistake which put me at a final time at 2:10.xxx...

That was that, although there was one more run I could have done I called it a day as I felt I should not be pushing anymore - got my 3rd place in class which was great.
Paced up and went to eat/sleep then headed home the day after.

One interesting thing I noticed after all of this is that I not once had a chance to get an adrenaline rush (as I normally would have) from any of my runs!
I think I've been conditioned enough over the years that now I really have to go fast and be on the edge to get that "kick".
Basically what this tells me is that I did't drive fast enough and I need to drive faster next time.

My goal is to prove that I can take the car up the hill in less than 2 minutes. I know the car can do it, I just have to learn how!

PS. It will be interesting to hit Castrol again on some slicks and try Time Attack now. I got thicker skin after riding at this event, I'm pretty sure the places that intimidated me at Castrol will do that no more.
rox

Postby SirSidewaystheThird » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:07 am

I think the radical crashed at turn 9, after the turn 8 hairpin where Aaron bit it, no?

Cyrus P.
SirSidewaystheThird

Postby rox » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:11 am

SirSidewaystheThird wrote:I think the radical crashed at turn 9, after the turn 8 hairpin where Aaron bit it, no?

You're probably right. I have those turns still mixed up. 9 is as nutty as 8 even though it doesn't look like it...
rox

Return to Other Racing