castrol walls, course design adjustment?

General discussion about Autocross/Autoslalom/Solo 2 in the Edmonton area (Let's stay somewhat racing related, shall we?)

Moderator: ASA Solo Committee

castrol walls, course design adjustment?

Postby snackers » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:10 pm

Curious if the execs/committee has considered not running the course next to the walls at castrol?
Other than a couple gates, a 2 cone slalom, and about 10s worth of time, the 2 sections right beside the walls don't really add anything significant to the overall course design.
Moving the start/stop back to the west course crossover would reduce the risk of "wall incidents" and not remove anything from the fun.
It would also allow the van to view the entire course.

Here's a sample.
Thoughts?

snackers

Re: castrol walls, course design adjustment?

Postby DoctorDave » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:15 pm

My car is a lot different from everyone else who solo's, so my opinion shouldn't carry that much weight, but I have hit that wall, and since then we only go at 80% where the walls are. I think if the cars went the opposite direction to your photo they could safely start a few metres before the track starts to bend, and at the finish set the pylons up so you drive the racing line through the bus stop but on exit be forced to stay to the inside (not run wide on exit) and have the stop box fairly close to the bus stop exit. IMHO.
DoctorDave

Postby Tracker » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:04 pm

This idea has my support!
Tracker
Tracker

Postby zoobs » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:37 am

I am good either way.

Personally, I don't mind the walls. You just need to know your car and the limits of it in those sections. Keep it under control!
'04 Honda Civic Sir - SM #02
zoobs

Postby eem » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:26 pm

How about avoiding the walls altogether by running the event in the parking/drifting lot? Gotta cost less to rent out as well.

jim
eem

Postby GrantC » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:24 pm

My codriver also raised the question about walls (and curves/elements next to them), and why we use them.

It was phrased slightly more like "holy $%#&, if I lost it the other way we would have just written a car."
Don't make me quote you in my sig! ;)
GrantC

Postby Tracker » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:37 pm

The solution is so simple and with so many benefits setup-wise, I don't understand why we haven't tried yet...

Let's lower the risk and increase the fun for everybody!
Tracker
Tracker

Postby GrantC » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:08 am

And, to be slightly cynical, it's a bit less area for us to marshal with our current attendee counts!
GrantC

Postby Tracker » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:30 pm

GrantC wrote:And, to be slightly cynical, it's a bit less area for us to marshal with our current attendee counts!

Perhaps the facts are related? We don't want to be known as the place where newbies tag the wall on their first event...
Tracker
Tracker

Postby EDSEVEN » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:33 am

Keep in mind, parking lots are not “safe” either in all cases, curbs can do just as much damage as a wall. Ultimately there are risks involved in Motorsport.
S.N.R.DC5
EDSEVEN

Postby GrantC » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:33 am

No argument on that point, especially from me.

But if we have the majority of the course to play with, which doesn't have walls, why not use it rather than squeezing out every last m of pavement and running right next to the walls?
Last edited by GrantC on Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GrantC

Postby EDSEVEN » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:25 pm

I’m not against a safer venue by any means, cheaper venue wouldn’t hurt either. Just stating that we (Castrol walls) are relatively safe in comparison to other events I’ve attended.
S.N.R.DC5
EDSEVEN

Postby snackers » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:46 am

Other bonuses:
- Start guy/girl being able to see the entire course, where cars are, giving better judgement on how often to send cars (or not send cars)
- Timing also being able to see the entire course, giving better responses to "STOP THE CARS!" or lack thereof

I haven't seen any reasons yet to NOT do this.
Or at least not even try it.
I personally know a newb that has been scared away because of it, and would "rather drive on the street where my insurance covers anything that happens"
snackers

Postby zoobs » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:17 pm

Snackers, tell your buddy to get some balls! LOL JK

I can see where he is coming from and those like him. I am down for omitting the wall sections if more people will show up.

Im good either way - but, more cars/drivers would be great!
'04 Honda Civic Sir - SM #02
zoobs

Postby EDSEVEN » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:49 pm

The above picture is not omitting walls, It is merely minimizing walls. I'm not against safety as I have previously stated, but if you want to take walls 100% out of the equation, you kinda have to forget about the whole road course.
And what kind of logic is I'd rather crash on a public road as opposed to a closed circuit?? What purpose will insurance serve if you injure/kill someone doing something stupid on a public road?
S.N.R.DC5
EDSEVEN

Postby Tracker » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:30 am

EDSEVEN wrote:The above picture is not omitting walls, It is merely minimizing walls. I'm not against safety as I have previously stated, but if you want to take walls 100% out of the equation, you kinda have to forget about the whole road course.

Because these walls were involved in 100% of the crashes we had so far... and you are right, life is about minimizing the risks!

Personally I am not concerned with the walls, so far I managed to keep my car going in the general direction I want despite its rear-end wicked intentions. (snowbanks is a different story...)

https://youtu.be/PMSlhT8g9l0

https://youtu.be/C9mjVbfo6s8

My concern is about the new people, expensive cars and the potential for harm. If we can minimize the risk without a downside, why not?
Tracker
Tracker

Postby EDSEVEN » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:50 am

I absolutely agree with everything you said, and that’s kinda my point. As soon as someone hits the next wall the track space will shrink again and again and so on, that is the downside I am trying to get across.
S.N.R.DC5
EDSEVEN

Postby Tracker » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:16 pm

EDSEVEN wrote:I absolutely agree with everything you said, and that’s kinda my point. As soon as someone hits the next wall the track space will shrink again and again and so on, that is the downside I am trying to get across.

I like how you suffer in advance... hallmark of a good IT professional! :)

Let's first take care of the walls that have already caused us problems, OK?
Tracker
Tracker

Postby EDSEVEN » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:32 pm

Sure give it a try.
S.N.R.DC5
EDSEVEN

Return to Edmonton Area Autocross Stuff