castrol walls, course design adjustment?

General discussion about Autocross/Autoslalom/Solo 2 in the Edmonton area (Let's stay somewhat racing related, shall we?)

Moderator: ASA Solo Committee

castrol walls, course design adjustment?

Postby snackers » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:10 pm

Curious if the execs/committee has considered not running the course next to the walls at castrol?
Other than a couple gates, a 2 cone slalom, and about 10s worth of time, the 2 sections right beside the walls don't really add anything significant to the overall course design.
Moving the start/stop back to the west course crossover would reduce the risk of "wall incidents" and not remove anything from the fun.
It would also allow the van to view the entire course.

Here's a sample.
Thoughts?

snackers

Re: castrol walls, course design adjustment?

Postby DoctorDave » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:15 pm

My car is a lot different from everyone else who solo's, so my opinion shouldn't carry that much weight, but I have hit that wall, and since then we only go at 80% where the walls are. I think if the cars went the opposite direction to your photo they could safely start a few metres before the track starts to bend, and at the finish set the pylons up so you drive the racing line through the bus stop but on exit be forced to stay to the inside (not run wide on exit) and have the stop box fairly close to the bus stop exit. IMHO.
DoctorDave

Return to Edmonton Area Autocross Stuff