Lapping

General discussion about Autocross/Autoslalom/Solo 2 in the Edmonton area (Let's stay somewhat racing related, shall we?)

Moderator: ASA Solo Committee

Lapping

Postby EVOTELL » Fri May 04, 2018 7:30 pm

I see on the schedule that the club has several lapping events. Are there any specific requirement regarding car equipment. Does a 20015 Miata Club (Hard Top) qualify.
Terry
2015 STR Miata
EVOTELL

Re: Lapping

Postby colin3 » Mon May 07, 2018 2:14 pm

Jamie posted this for somebody else. Hope that helps:

"Please see the Lapping and Race Regulations here http://albertasolo.com/rules.htm. The roll bar specs are in the Race Regulations - Appendix A, Roll Bar Specifications."
Colin Puttick
colin3

Postby EVOTELL » Mon May 07, 2018 4:00 pm

Thanks for your response. I had a look through and it didn't answer my question. Do you have people coming to your lapping events with a Miata with a power retractable hard top?
Terry
2015 STR Miata
EVOTELL

Postby colin3 » Tue May 08, 2018 8:30 am

In the past I think that model was good to go as is.
Colin Puttick
colin3

Postby colin3 » Tue May 08, 2018 8:34 am

And that year/Gen has factory single use basic rollover protection anyways (I think. Look in your manual). But I’m not the boss. And it’s not my body inside the car. I’ve always liked to look on the internet for rollover and crash pictures of my particular car to get ideas of how safe it really is.
Colin Puttick
colin3

Postby TheBigF » Tue May 08, 2018 8:43 am

A hard top on a convertible is not considered roll over protection. A roll bar, non-factory, to spec, bolted or welded to the chassis is required. A hard top connects to the top of the windshield and the rear deck.
Jamie
Pres. ASA

A guy asked me, "Ever do any offroading?" I said "No, not intentionally."
TheBigF

Postby EVOTELL » Tue May 08, 2018 8:45 am

I guess my question is: If I sign up for these lapping events am I going to get turned away, and if so by whom and is that person on this forum who could give me a heads up.

Thanks for your time Colin.
Terry
2015 STR Miata
EVOTELL

Postby EVOTELL » Tue May 08, 2018 8:47 am

TheBigF wrote:A hard top on a convertible is not considered roll over protection. A roll bar, non-factory, to spec, bolted or welded to the chassis is required. A hard top connects to the top of the windshield and the rear deck.

So Ill get turned away, Who runs these events ?
Terry
2015 STR Miata
EVOTELL

Postby TheBigF » Tue May 08, 2018 8:49 am

Without a roll bar, yes you would be turned away. I run these events. Here's why you'd be turned away: ASA is a member club of the Western Canada Motorsport Association (WCMA), the ASN/FIA (international motorsport authority) governing body of the prairie provinces. We run all our events under their sanctioning. ASN/FIA Lapping Regulations require that open-top/convertible cars be equipped with roll-over protection to a certain specification, the same way Race regulations require it. ASN/FIA safety rules are non-negotiable, otherwise, motorsport is pretty much self-governing.
Jamie
Pres. ASA

A guy asked me, "Ever do any offroading?" I said "No, not intentionally."
TheBigF

Postby EVOTELL » Tue May 08, 2018 11:06 am

TheBigF wrote:Without a roll bar, yes you would be turned away. I run these events. Here's why you'd be turned away: ASA is a member club of the Western Canada Motorsport Association (WCMA), the ASN/FIA (international motorsport authority) governing body of the prairie provinces. We run all our events under their sanctioning. ASN/FIA Lapping Regulations require that open-top/convertible cars be equipped with roll-over protection to a certain specification, the same way Race regulations require it. ASN/FIA safety rules are non-negotiable, otherwise, motorsport is pretty much self-governing.

Thanks Jamie :)
Terry
2015 STR Miata
EVOTELL

Return to Edmonton Area Autocross Stuff